HOW TO HAVE A NORMAL VAGINAL BIRTH
Exercise Regularly During Pregnancy (See up-coming post: Exercise during pregnancy)
Seek out the company of Other Women:
• A woman in labor needs other women or a woman to give support
• This was the old traditional way with Lakota women, as well as many other cultures!
• We learn about giving birth and about breastfeeding when in the company of other women.
Stay Home During Early Labor:
- Early labor is not “true” labor.
- It is what assists the thinning of the cervix in preparation for labor
- Often it starts and stops
- This is when you should rest
- Your body is getting you ready for birth
- Look at the length of the contraction itself, not the distance between each one. This will be your true indicator.
- When you sense the early signs of excitement and nervousness, you are not ready
- When you are concentrating and seriously working with your contractions is the second sign, but you are still not ready.
- It is when you have been in the emotional space of the last sign, and feel aggravated when made to move…now you are getting into “real” labor.
This is IMPORTANT:
Turn your FOCUS INWARD and TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!
- Think comfort: Use pillows to cradle your body when resting
- Dr. Odent states that the warm baths assists in the highest level of relaxation
- Use soft music
- Lower the lighting in the room
- Walk, Rock or Sway, Dance, Squat, kneel and rock (especially for back labor)
- There is no need to RUSH to the hospital!Final Stage / Delivery
• Upright positioning is best for delivery of a baby. It uses gravity to assist the baby in birth.
• If you cannot do an upright position, see if you can use a squat or kneeling position (have someone assist you)
• Trust your body
• See POSTS for pain management if you need to.