Many women have said to me “Oh, charting is just too much bother”. Well, is it too much bother to pencil in your eyebrows and put on lipstick before you leave the front door? This is YOUR body, it is your health we are talking about. Once you get the blank charts, it probably will take you five minutes. Easy peezy… like tying your shoe laces!
Why do it?
- you can see when you are ovulating
- tell when you can have safe sex without unwanted pregnancy
- see when you are no longer fertile (Great for when you want a “green light” for safe sex” or when you are trying to get pregnant, it is not gonna happen…
- indicates when you will get your menses
- potential issues with period
How to do it
When you first wake up, before you drink water or anything else. Everyday, including during your menses. If possible, take your temperature at the same time each day. Note the time on your chart. The later in the day, the higher the temperature…so if you forget to do the temperature upon waking, you need to note the time.
If your thermometer is digital, make sure to wait until it beeps. The reading would then be more accurate. A glass thermometer, should be left in the mouth a full five minutes. Shake it down the night before or at least remember to do so before you take the temperature for that day.
Take your temperature ORALLY.
Also note on your chart if you have had unusual events in your life, such as: stress, illness, are traveling, or you are moving. These events can affect your temperature.