QUESTIONS FOR TESTS AND PROCEDURES
Use this handout to help you with the questions in order to get information to make a decision as to whether to have a test or procedure done. You have the right to know everything about your care. You have the right to refuse any treatment or test. You have the right to choose who will take care of you. Use both your head and heart to make the best choices for yourself.
- What is the name of this test?
- What information will this test give?
- What will it not tell?
- Are there any risks associated with this test?
- Are there other ways to get the same information?
- How accurate is this test? Can it give a false negative or positive result?
- If the results are negative, what will be done next? (Is this acceptable to you?)
- If the results are positive, what will be done next? (Is this acceptable to you?)
- What if you choose not to have this done?
- What is the reason for this procedure?
- What are the benefits?
- What are the risks or side effects? (Are these acceptable to you?)
- How is the procedure done?
- Does this procedure always work? If not, why and how often?
- If this procedure doesn’t work, what will be done next? (Is this acceptable to you?)
- What other choices are available?
- What are the potential consequences of not having the procedure done?